Oxford is a dominant player in the UK for motorcycle accessories that has just recently started selling its products on this side of the pond, and its new Premium line of heated grips offers an easy way to upgrade almost any bike for cold-weather riding.
Available in a three different (but honestly, very similar) grip patterns and very reasonably priced, this product offers an exceptional value for a wide range of bikes. Installation is plug-and-play: simply attach the SAE connector to the terminals of any standard 12-volt motorcycle battery, route the durable silicone-sheath cables under the tank and find a place to mount the control unit and voila—you’re in business with five different heat settings putting out a maximum 120-degrees of frostbite thwarting heat.
This latest iteration of its heated grips compares very favorably to similarly priced and even more expensive products. These grips pick up major points for their intelligent heat controller, which shuts down automatically if you forget to turn them off or when it senses the battery putting out less than 10.5 volts. And otherwise they barely sip electricity at a rate of 3.6 amps per pair. And the best part is you really don’t have to know or care what any of that means. These universal-fit grips are open ended to allow for bar-end weights or hand guard systems and are ready to go right out of the box.
The smart controller has highly visible LED indicator lights and raised silicone buttons that are easy to operate with gloves. And the control unit is welded shut and totally weather proof backed by a full 2-year warranty. Not bad for a $90 investment.
What's in the box:
- Throttle- and clutch-side grips
- Intelligent Heat Controller with LED indicator lights
- 5 heat settings: 30%, 40%, 50%, 75% and 100%
- Optional bracket and hardware for mounting controller
- Wiring harness with 5 amp mini-blade fuse, zip-ties and grip glue
- Instruction booklet and 2 year warranty card
- Fits 7/8" (22mm) handlebars and clip-ons
- Touring and Sport grips: length 4.84" (12.3cm) Trimmable to 4.48" (11.4cm)
- Adventure Grip: length 5.19" (13.2cm) Trimmable to 4.80" (12.2cm)
- Fuse: 5 amp mini-blade (available in most auto parts stores)
- Sealed-for-life welded case for long-term durability and weather proofing
*The only differences between Adventure, Sport and Touring models are the grip patterns, and the fact the Adventure grip is slightly longer than the others.